Many did not have sufficient food and water to begin with, and after the flooding, could not get any. Trucks could not even get into the city to deliver anything. In addition to this, they were not prepared for a Power Outage, especially a two week power outage.
Flooding can drive unique problems and needs for things we may not normally think about.
So what did we learn from this?
- Disaster can be upon us before we realize it. New Orleans had survived many hurricanes, but this time retaining walls, that protected the city, broke and the entire city was soon under several feet of water. So there won't be much, if any warning, and even if there is, most won't recognize it, until it is too late. Our Red Flag Warnings may help you recognize a potential disaster is coming, or already here, but if not prepared ahead, this early warning will only help you a little.
- We must take responsibility for our own safety and well-being. We can NOT depend our our government to protect us from everything. Yes, the government had plenty of food and water near by, but could not distribute it for days due to the bad weather and flooding.
- Advance preparations are essential. Disaster can come in many forms, and in this case, organized gangs and our own law enforcement were an unexpected problem for many. We must expect the unexpected, and it is the enemy from within that is often most overlooked.
- Security is important, and most all gun & ammo stores will be shut down. Those that are open, are sold out, even at list price. So IF you are ever going to want a handgun, or AR and plenty of ammo to protect your home and family, you better do it before you really need it & before it is too late. Even if / when guns are banned someday, there is likely to be a grandfather clause, allowing exiting owners to keep them for a while, as long as they register them. Many countries (like Australia) have been through this slow, gradual gun ban process that is achieved incrementally over many years. Don't wait! Act Now. With out a gun, you will just be saving supplies for someone who has a gun, or a large gang big enough to take them.
So what other supplies do we need?
- First, look at our Beginners List, then add:
- Food - In addition to foods that you eat on a regular basis, have some that are non-perishable or have long shelf lives. Things like beef jerky, canned SPAM, canned salmon, sardines, crackers, freeze dried canned fruits & other foods, are good to have. Also have a manual can opener.
- Bottled Water - Bottled water is especially important as it can be easily carried with you and rationed.
- Off-Grid Lighting is important & batteries.
- Propane, or charcoal for cooking food on a BBQ grille or camp stove.
- Have plenty of ammo, and some good Prepper weapons, like a hand gun and an AR. Because the government may try to seize them, have additional weapons, ammo and supplies stored in a hidden cache.
Below is a standard hurricane preparedness checklist of things you will need to help you and your family survive hurricane season.
- Potable water
- Non-perishable food
- Alternative means to heat food
- Clothing, including rain gear and a good pair of boots
- First Aid Kit
- Toys, diapers, etc. for infants and children
- Pet care kit (food, carrier/leash, immunization records, etc.)
- Travel toiletry kit
- Battery operated radio with AM/FM and NOAA reception
- Critical documents in waterproof pouch (banking info, insurance, passports, birth certificates, etc.)
- Full fuel tanks in all vehicles along with additional spare fuel cans
- Blankets and pillows
- Cash, including small bills (ATM's & credit card machines may be out of order)
- Portable tool set or a Multi-Tool
- Fully charged cell phone & charger along with hand radios for communications.
- Essential medications
For more information see:
Blog Table of Contents
Lessons Learned series
Emergency Water Supply
Modern Home Security
Survive a 2 week power outage
Riot & Looting Preparations
Natural & Man Made Disaster Preparation
Emergency Essentials Disaster Preparations
Urban Security Plan
Hurricane 101 Review
Flood Bug out Bag
Maps for Survival
Maps for Survival
DIY Solar System
Beginner Prepper List
Wilderness Survival Pack (Video)
Global Climate Facts