There are a wide range of First Aid kits so lets talk at a high level about what you need to have. Some supplies may be Salvaged but it is best to plan ahead and have what is critical. Here is what I suggest:
- Have a few small but good First Aid Kits with non perishable contents for personal use in your Auto, back pack, and at work. Also have some small inexpensive kits as well as for Barter.
- Then get at least one larger first aid kit preferably that is OSHA compliant.
- Be sure to have things like ace bandages, disinfectants, hydrogen peroxide, alcohol, acetaminophen, Ibuprofen, antibiotic creams, Listerine mouthwash - rotate them as they will expire over time (their Achilles heel).
- A Trauma Kit and Surgical tools plus needles, dental floss, nylon (fishing line), silk or surgical thread for sewing wounds is good to have.
- Have a still to make your own disinfectant (alcohol) and purify water.
- Antibiotics are great but have a shelf life to keep up with; listed on this link are a few good ones that last longer.
- Some inexpensive vitamins which can help boost your immune system, especially when on a limited diet.
- Get a good First Aid book (not e-book). The American College of Emergency Physicians has a good ACEP First Aid Manual and The Survival Medicine Handbook: A guide for when help is not on the way, is another good book. When there is no Doctor/Dentist are also good books.
For additional information see the following links:
Blog Table of Contents