So what life skills should you teach them to be prepared for a potential economic or societal breakdown, i.e. the proverbial SHTF scenario?
Here is a list to consider:
- Gardening - the most valuable skill for sustainability. Let them plant their own seeds.
- Livestock - Raising "Pet" chickens is a valuable skill for sustainable living. Let your kids check for eggs & see chicks hatch. Raising pet goats is a most valuable skill for Nomadic living.
- Fishing - probably the most valuable skill for living in the wild.
- Horse Back Riding - is fun and a useful skill as a form of sustainable Transportation.
- Camping - cooking & sleeping outside in various environments without fear is essential.
- Water - Safe drinking water is critical to survival. See the Rule of 3.
- EDC Survival - Surviving with your Every Day Carry (EDC) items.
- Shooting - starting with Gun Safety, followed with shooting a BB Gun at a young age.
- Archery - a fun sport and precursor to hunting.
- Build your own bow and arrows as well as using modern ones.
- Paint Ball or Laser tag - a fun way to learn military drills and security skills.
- Fire Making - a key skill to teach with caution as they become Teens.
- Wilderness Survival - Knowledge is free and light weight vs a heavy pack of supplies.
- Hunting - a key skill to learn as Teens but mental preparation to kill an animal is important.
- Edible Wild Plants - another good skill for Teens, especially the Universal Edibility Test.
For additional information see the following links:
Blog Table of Contents
Top Rated Prepper Handbook Posts of all time
Or click on a label below for similar topics.