- Gun Free Zones are dangerous with 86% of the mass public shootings occurring in Gun Free Zones. Some sources report this figure as 92%. This means a mass shooting is more than 5 times more likely to occur in a Gun Free Zone. Gun control proponents point out that many shootings occur in private homes so I must ask, do they want to ban guns in our homes too? The real answer is yes.
- The highest fatality shootings are in Gun Free Zones according to an FBI study of 160 shootings. There are 7 times higher fatalities when it is necessary to wait for police arrive to stop an active shooter compared to an armed citizen being present and stopping the shooter. Combined, this means you are 35 times more likely to get shot in a Gun Free Zone than in public places that do not ban guns.
- The highest casualty shootings in the FBI study of 160 shootings were all in Gun Free Zones.
- Decision Makers who declare & enforce Gun Free Zones are usually negligent in their responsibility to provide adequate security when they disarm law abiding citizens, leading them to become victims. Until there are more civil suits to hold decision makers responsible, this is likely to continue. In some cases, business have installed metal detectors and implement searches to enforce their Gun Free Zones. All this does is disarm law abiding citizens.
- The US is not the only country that has shootings. Many European countries have more and all of their shootings are in Gun Free Zones. In fact France suffered more casualties (murders and injuries) from mass public shootings in 2015 than the US has suffered during Obama’s entire presidency (UPDATED 524 to 428) and their gun laws are far stricter than the US who has 4.9 times their population. Further, in countries that ban guns, their total violent crime (not just shootings) goes up, not down. Most of the big numbers of shootings that gun banners talk about are done by the police, or are suicides.
- There are only two mass public shootings since at least 1950 that have not been part of some other crime where at least four people have been killed in an area where civilians are generally allowed to have guns. These are the International House of Pancakes restaurant in Carson City, Nevada on September 6, 2011 and the Gabrielle Giffords shooting in Tucson, Arizona on January 8, 2011 This clearly shows that when someone decides to go out and randomly shoot people, they pick Gun Free Zones.
- FBI data indicates that crime goes down as gun ownership goes up. Just look at Chicago IL, where Obama was Senator. They have some of the strictest gun laws and highest crime rates.
Picture courtesy of: http://thelibertarianrepublic.com/study-92-of-mass-shootings-happen-in-gun-free-zones/
For more information see these links: